Tuesday, January 8, 2019

13 Ways to Personalize your Page Kit. #3: Pop Up Dots

Last week we posted our first two ways to personalize your page kits. We glammed up Love, Joy Peace with some gorgeous embellishments (find it here) and we added depth and a bit of a rustic feel to Family Winter (shown here). Since we turn THIRTEEN this year (man, time flies!), we're releasing 13 new kits this month and for each kit we release, I'm blogging about another way to take that page kit and make it your own and it's time for #3 - something I almost use too often (if that's possible). I just love it so much. :)

Personalizing Option #3: Pop Up Dots

Our newly released page kit is Happy Birthday Blue and Gold and it's absolutely perfect for some pop up dots! Here's a quick photo of the final product and then we'll look at how it to do it.
Original Happy Birthday Blue and Gold Page Kit.
I just love this layout. Blue/Gold is one of my favorite color combinations and the look of this layout is so classy. The title on the side is so big and bold and the cake on the other side is super fun. So many of these die cuts are perfect for popping up!

Let's take a look at what I used to create this layout:
All you need to create this layout is the Happy Birthday Blue and Gold page kit, your choice of adhesive (I like the ATG gun and Nuvo clear drying adhesive), and 3D foam squares.
These 3D Foam Squares are from Scrapbook Adhesives by 3L. I used small, .25" x .25" white and black squares. 


This original layout has a lot of opportunities for 3D effects. I often want to use pop up dots when there's something I want to feature, like the Happy Birthday title, when there are items stacked, like the birthday cake, or when there are items layered, like the presents. 

When I'm using pop up dots, I often adhere all of the pieces that I know I wont be popping up, just to get a handle on what my options are. You can see below that I adhered some of the die cuts together and the photo mats. This makes it easier to play with and strategize. Once I had these items decided, I adhered the photo mats so I knew what areas I was working with.



Next, I started with the presents. Because they were originally layered, like they were in front and behind each other, this seemed like a natural place to bring some forward. 

Group of presents with pop up dots. 
It may seem like a little overkill, but I like to space my pop up dots pretty evenly and frequently across the die cut. I don't want too much space in between or to miss areas (like the bow) so it all pops up evenly and doesn't divot over time.

Popped up present

You can see that they give it just a little bit of a 3D effect.


You can see that I layered the tall present behind and popped up the front two presents
I also decided to pop up the title, so you can see the varying heights in this shot.
Here is the left side of the layout with title and select presents popped up.
Now on to the right side. This cake was calling for pop up dots - some with two layers! I decided to elevate each layer - including the photo mats on the bottom. You can see how they pop up from the page in the photo below.

On one layer of the cake, you can see that there are multi-colored tabs. I thought this was a perfect opportunity to try to double-pop up! You can see in the photo below the effect of the second level.

Right side of layout with popped up cake and photo mats.


Here's the completed layout with everything popped up! It's a little difficult to tell how great this looks in a photo, but the 3D effect is so cute! It really makes this birthday layout fun.

Happy Birthday Blue and Gold page kit with pop up dots.


I love using pop up dots. It's a very simple way to bring dimension and personality to your kits. It adds just a extra something to this layout!

Stay tuned for more techniques this week and through the entire month of January. And don't forget to check out all of our birthday deals on our Facebook page!

No comments: