Friday, January 25, 2019

13 Ways to Personalize your Page Kit. #11: Washi Tape

We are on number 11 of 13 Ways to Personalize your page kit and I almost can't believe we're already here! It's our LAST Kit of the Week for the month (though not our last release)! This month has absolutely flown by. But I guess it's like they say - time flies when you're having fun - and we've had so much fun this month transforming page kits and letting our creative juices flow! We hope you've enjoyed it all so far! So ELEVEN! That means we've already covered 10 different ways you can personalize your page kits. If you missed any of them, no worries! You can catch up! Just click on the one you want and it'll take you directly there: 1.embellishments, 2.inking, 3.pop up dots, 4.expansion, 5.sewing, 6.journaling, 7.pop out photos, 8.secret flip-up space, 9.color swap, and 10.waterfall album

And that brings us to number 11: Washi Tape. There are a million ways to use washi tape. The possibilities are as vast as your creativity. I love to keep it handy for when inspiration strikes, and our newest page kit lent itself perfectly to this technique. Before we get to the technique, let's look at this fantastic page kit. We've got hundreds of page kits dedicated to your family, your friends, your events, your vacations, and your other joys, but this one is ALL. ABOUT. YOU! 

Original Scrap Till You Drop
GAH! Isn't is SO cute!?! I just love it! The colors are bright and fun, the die cuts are perfect (those "stickers"), and it just makes me want to head for a weekend crop! Honestly, I didn't want to do anything major to this kit because I just love how it's set up. BUT, in the spirit of 13 ways, I found a way to work in #11 in subtle, but fun ways.

Personalization Option #11: Washi Tape

Everyone I know has their favorites. Their favorite brand, their favorite thickness, their favorite place to buy it. But, for me, I'll take any kid of washi tape. It's just thin strips of tape and it's removable, so it's easy to use, there are often unique and fun designs or words, and - my favorite feature - although inexpensive on it's own, bargain bins are often filled with rolls of it. We've got a set of rolls in our design space that works with nearly every project you could imagine, so I grabbed that, and started brainstorming.

All this cute polka dotted washi tape came in a nice little tube from Doodlebug. Brilliantly, I didn't take a photo them from the side so you could see the polka dots...
The first thing I did was assess the layout and see what the washi possibilities were. 

I decided the obvious choice would be to removed the paper die cut "tape" and replace it with washi tape. I also decided I would try to spruce up those photo mat overlays. Next, I took a look at my color choices and picked a few that matched well.

I chose bright colors that worked with the page kit
Once I had my choices, I just started playing! I added the washi tape instead of the "tape" die cuts and experimented with the photo overlays. For the first overlay, I just tore pieces of washi tape at random lengths and lined the outside to create a bit of a patchwork look.

Random lengths of Washi tape were added to this overlay
 For the other overlay, I decided to run the washi tape sideways so the squares would all be exactly the same size and alternate colors to get my desired effect.
washi tape laid sideways to create equal sized squares

The best part of using washi tape is how quick and simple it is! In just a few minutes, I had made some changes to the original layout that were a little more personal and quirky. And if you try something and you don't like it, you can remove it! I'm not totally sold on the washi tape on the overlays, if I'm honest. The page kit has so much going on that I'm not sure it needs it. But I'm definitely going to use that on another layout that needs a little punch!! So experiment! Explore! Have Fun! You'll never know if you'll like it unless you give it a try.


Left side of Scrap Till You Drop with washi tape

Right side of Scrap Till You Drop with washi tape
Full Scrap Till You Drop with washi tape

That's all for the 11th way to personalize your page kit! Stay tuned for our final 2! And don't forget to check out our Facebook page to keep up on the weekly deals for the month of January!

No comments: