Tuesday, October 13, 2015

Is it a Page Kit? Or is it a Card Kit?

We've had a lot of requests for card kits lately! Although we haven't had time to design a card kit (per se), we decided to use one of our existing kits and make some cards.  The only items we needed besides the Kit were stamps, ink, a sponge (for ink application), white cardstock/card bases, bakers twine and some basic paper crafting tools.  FYI: In case I forget to mention it in each individual card detail, I did ink nearly all the edges of the cards and diecut pieces.

Today I'll share the details for FOUR of these fun cards.
Be sure to come back to the blog tomorrow for the rest!

SIX Cards + TWO Gift Tags from one Page Kit!
"Celebrate" 12x12 Scrapbook Page Kit
The kit I used to create all those fabulous birthday cards and tags is "Celebrate" (shown above).  I love this kit because it's fairly gender-neutral featuring the greens and yellow cardstock.  If anything, it's a little more "guy" than "girl" which is perfect because I find it pretty difficult to locate good male birthday cards.  Anyway, read on for close-up pictures of each card plus a little more detail on the supplies used. 

Card 1 - Have a Super Day


To create this card, I used the teal paper in the kit for the card base.  The card is slightly smaller than a standard A6 (8.5 x 6 inches; then fold in half).  I trimmed the yellow scallop border so that it was thinner and used it as a border along the bottom.  I also trimmed the brown candle piece so that the entire cupcake would fit on the card front. I like a little dimension on my cards so for this one, I popped up the entire frosting layer along with the candle and flame.  You can use any pop-up adhesive, but I love these mini 3-D foam squares by Thermoweb.

See the dimension? Love those popdots!




I added the sentiment from the "Super" stamp set.  Then, using the tiny star from the "Beboppin" stamp set, I randomly stamped the stars in sets of three.  You'll also note that I inked the edges of all the shapes and the card using the same brown ink.  For a quick tutorial on this technique, check out our YouTube video here.




Additional Supplies:
Cardstock - White 8.5 x 11 Smooth (card front)
Ink - Memento Rich Cocoa 
Sponge - Yellow Synthetic or Make-up wedge 
Stamps - Have a Super Day "Super" by Paper Smooches
               Tiny Star "BeBoppin" by Paper Smooches


Card 2 - Celebrate 

The base on this card was made from the blue cardstock in the kit.  Again, it's an oversized card which was mostly due to the large die-cut word, Celebrate, that came in the kit.  It was too cute not to use on a card! Don't worry, though, you'll be able to find an envelope to fit it because it's an A7 (10 x 7 inches; then fold in half).  Basically all I did was cut the cardstocks and the a bit of the stripe pattern included into rectangles, decreasing the lengths to create a cake.  I wanted a softer edge on the cake "layers" so I used a corner rounding punch on all the pieces.  I freehand cut the flame and trimmed a small piece of the brown to create a candle.

See how I roughly outlined the letters?

I trimmed the Celebrate word from the kit and then used a craft marker to sketch around the edges of all the letters.  Before I did this, the word didn't seem to stand out as much as I wanted it to.  The finishing touch was the "confetti".  To create these little dots, I used a standard sized single hole-punch.  Who knew office tools could be so handy for scrapbooking?! Also, I again inked all the edges on this card.



Additional Supplies:
Ink - Memento Rich Cocoa 
Sponge - Yellow Synthetic or Make-up wedge 
Marker - Zig Writer in Black
Corner Rounder - Fiskars Squeeze Punch
Standard Hole Punch (office supply)


Card 3 - Surprise

This card was created on a white card base at standard A2 size (8.5 x 4.25 inches; then fold in half).  I used the green half circle diecuts in the kit to create a centerpiece area on the card front.  To disguise where the sides meet, I used two 1.75 inch diameter circles.  You could use a circle punch or a diecut machine (we love the Silhouette) to create this.  Similarly, I created a larger 2.75 inch diameter circle for the center from the included brown cardstock.  Using small pieces of cardstock, I freehand cut a small candle and flame.  Note: the cupcakes are attached in the kit, but you can simply cut them apart.  The frosting layer covers any wonky edges from trimming them apart.  I also decided to pop up the frosting and flame on this card.  To create the corner edges, simply cut some of the brown cardstock into squares (these are 1.5 inch).  Then, using a long scissors or your trimmer, cut in half diagonally....boom! Instant corners.

Neat trick! Thread through the button.
For accents, I used the kit's two white buttons.  To dress them up a bit, I cut small lengths of teal/white bakers twine and threaded it through the button-holes and tied it in a knot at the front.  To prevent the ends from fraying, I tied knots at the edges of the free ends.  I again used the tiny star to accent the green circle and added the sentiment from the "Good Gab" stamp set.  That corner rounder came in handy again too!  I used it on the "surprise" block.


Additional Supplies:
Cardstock - White Smooth (card base)
Bakers Twine - American Crafts (Similar)
Ink - Memento Rich Cocoa 
Sponge - Yellow Synthetic or Make-up wedge 
Stamps - Surprise "Good Gab" by Paper Smooches
               Tiny Star "BeBoppin" by Paper Smooches
Corner Rounder - Fiskars Squeeze Punch  
Silhouette Cameo (to cut circles)













Card 4 - For You

This little cutie is a 4x4 inch (8 x 4; then fold in half) card.  Note: Did you know? Square cards cost more to mail? Put this guy in an A2 envelope though and you'll pay standard rates!  I wanted something a little different for the background so I took a cue from my scrapbooks and created a "patchwork" background.  This technique is super easy but a tad time-consuming.  Luckily, cards are much smaller than a scrapbook page so it was less labor-intensive!

Isn't this background fun?!
I cut a random amount of 1x1 inch squares from my cardstock scraps. After inking all of them, I started at the top and began gluing the pieces down to the card base, row by row.  I did them a bit haphazardly (sort of a brick pattern) and then cut off the excess edges on the sides.  Like on the Celebrate card, I used a craft marker to sketch some detail on the cupcake piece.  I also used my Silhouette again to create a 3 inch diameter circle from white so that the cupcake wasn't "lost" in the patchwork background.  For the banner piece, I used a small strip of white and stamped "For You" from the "Word Up" stamp set.  I then used my scissors to create the "ribbon edges"  It's easy! Just snip a small piece from each end using a sharp-tipped scissors.  I added a blue background, trimming it the same way.  To finish off the card, I tied a bit of red bakers twine on the top.

Additional Supplies:
Cardstock - White Smooth (card base)
Bakers Twine - American Crafts (Similar)
Ink - Memento Rich Cocoa 
Sponge - Yellow Synthetic or Make-up wedge
Marker - Zig Writer in Black
Stamps - Surprise "Word Up" by Paper Smooches
Silhouette Cameo (to cut circle)


To Be Continued....

Stay tuned for the details on the last TWO cards 
and the TWO gift tags tomorrow!  
Thanks for visiting and happy crafting!

No comments: