Friday, October 2, 2015

Thinking Outside the Box

Ever thought about using our scrapbook kits "differently"? I mean, they are great as they are - super easy to use, just add photos and glue!  But what if "kit-scrapbooking" isn't your style...or isn't your style always?  No problem! I'll be sharing my take on this kit.

Today's project uses the "I Hooked Daddy's Heart" kit.
Here's what it looks like if you use the instructions/picture we provide:
Buy online NOW!
How adorable is this for some shots of daddy and daughter fishing?! We have a Boy version of this kit as well - you can view it and buy it by following this link- http://www.downmemorylncreations.com (scroll to locate within category).

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Let me tell you a little about my scrapbooking style.  I LOVE to use patterned paper! Here, there, everywhere!  Typically I use it in moderation so I don't overwhelm the photos, but I really like the playfulness, color, and fun that using some pattern brings.

The only other things I added in creating my modified layout were:
  • foam pop-dots for dimension
  • ink for added definition
  • different cardstock on background and for matting photos
As you'll see, the actually layout isn't much different and yet, has a very different look.
I'll list the supplies below along with pictures and links so you can buy them if you're in love.


Here are some of the changes I made to make this page my own:
  • I added several different patterned papers to create borders. 
    • The black & white stripe is a paper from the Heidi Swapp "Hello Beautiful" Memory Planner Pad.  This paper pad is great for card-making, traditional scrapbooking or even pocket scrapbooking.  The pad contains 36 sheets of 6 x 8 inch paper and you receive 3 of each pattern. To create the top & bottom borders, I cut 1/2 inch strips x 8 inches.  I inked and pieced them together so that it appears to be a continuous 12 inch boarder.  Neat trick, right?!  Keep this in mind if you have 6x6 paper pads (or other unique sizes) on-hand and want to use them on a 12x12 layout. 
    • Both the tan/white polka dot and multi-color stripe papers are actually made from Pocket Page cards.  No way!  What a great use of Project Life and other pocket scrapbooking cards.  If you're like me, you have a collection of them and since most sets include 2-3 of each pattern, you've got some to spare! Both of the borders were create from 3x4 cards from the MAMBI Cards - Family edition. The tan/white polka cards (3) were cut into 1 1/2 x 4 inch pieces to create 6 blocks.  I then layered 3 on the bottom of each page.  For the multi-color stripe, I just trimmed strips 1/4 inch x 4 inch; I only used one card for both pages.
  • Because one of my photos wasn't the same orientation and because I only had 3 pictures to include instead of 4, I modified the layout.  I also used a light blue cardstock for the photo mats because the I didn't like the pink and purple next to the photos.  DID YOU KNOW? We sell individual sheets of cardstock online? And it's the same high-quality textured American Crafts cardstock that we use in our kits!  We also have packs available on our website.  I also changed out the background from white to kraft because I preferred it to the starkness of bright white.  Because my photos were darker, this background improved how the pictures looked too.  Since I didn't use the purple in matting my photos, but it was still used in the title, I wanted to make a connection between the pages.  I made photo corners for the un-matted photo on the right-hand page.  To make simple corners like these, just punch or trim a square piece of paper.  Then use a scissors or your paper trimmer to cut it on the diagonal.  Pow! Instant photo corners!  I made mine a tad over-sized, using a 1 1/2 inch square.
  • Other layout changes I made included: putting the entire title on the left-hand page, popping up the wave border, and only including one of the fish diecuts.  Of course, this means I can save that purple fish diecut for another purpose.  Think of the possibilities: include on another page layout, create a fun card or tag, or just glue it together and give it to your kiddos to play with and to use in their craft projects!  I love getting the square mini pop-ups because they fit most shapes and seem to be a better value. 
  • Finally, my personal pages aren't completed until they are inked! I think it adds a fun touch to any page.  It helps define the edges of accents and photos.  Plus, it hands a nice handmade touch.  I especially use this technique with layouts where I incorporate a lot of patterned paper.  For this project, I used Memento Tuxedo Black ink and a craft sponge cut into wedges.  Want some more examples of how I use inking on pages? Check out my "I Made That" board on Pinterest.  And here's a quick video showing you the easy technique I use to get my pages all inked up:

Supplies Used on the Page:
Buy from our online store!
 I hope you've enjoy this tutorial.  Please comment with any page kits you'd like to see used in a more-traditional scrapbook page fashion.  We'd love to create ideas you can use! Watch for additional videos and projects coming soon.  Thanks for stopping by our Blog - be sure to Follow Us by Email or check back daily so you don't miss out on our NEW posts.  Happy crafting!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
As a special BONUS, I'm including some additional page inspiration!  I found these awesome ideas on Scrapbook.com.  It's so easy to find inspiration - just shop for a product, then scroll down to see gallery images of projects using that supply.  Neat-o, right?!
Features paper from Heidi Swapp "Hello Beautiful" Paper Pad
Features Pocket Page cards from the MAMBI Family Pack

No comments: