Thursday, October 15, 2015

Pocket Page How-To

Pocket Scrapbooking is all the rage right now.  You can buy cards in ever color, theme, and size.  So many options - Project Life, Simple Stories SNAP, MAMBI Pocket Pages, etc.  Trust me, it's hard to decide on what to use...which is why I just buy them all!  Today though, we're going to be showcasing how to use one of our kits, "Wish Big" as a pocket scrapbook page.  It's easier than you think! We've incorporated some fun cards by MAMBI and Project Life too.  And be sure to read to the bottom - we've got an EXCLUSIVE offer for Blog readers! (Offer valid through 10/16/2015 only.)

Here's our original kit - pretty cute, right?! 
Wish Big 12x12 Scrapbook Page Kit - Available Online

And here's our transformation into a pocket page.

The first step in the transformation was identifying which style of page protector I'd need.  There are lots of different layout options available in pocket pages.  And even different album sizes to boot! I chose a 12x12 page; then I can put it in my regular album next to traditional scrapbook pages.  Note: We R Memory Keepers 3-ring albums are awesome for this because they're super durable!  I prefer the ring binders because it makes moving pages around and taking them out easy as pie!  The protectors used are part of the WER Albums Made Easy line.  The left side is a protector with six 4x6 pockets.  The right page is a protector with four 6x4 inch pockets and three 4x4 inch pockets.  (Keep in mind that you can buy pocket page protectors in 10-packs by style or in multi-packs.  Check out all the WER pocket page protectors here.)

I based my selection on two criteria:
  • Size and number of photos to include
  • Size of the kit cardstock and patterns included in the kit (and to include on page)
 ***You'll also need to consider whether or not you will crop any of the photos or papers to fit.

Because most of my photos looked best at full size, I found protectors that featured a lot of full 4x6 pockets.
Left Side
Right Side















Time for step 2! Now to determine photo placement.  Things were made a bit easier given the fact that I had photos with different orientations.  I also determined that I could crop down one of the photos to 4x4.  Now for the embellishment pockets.  I took an inventory of what was included in the kit - some 3x3 blocks in dark yellow, light yellow, light blue, and the stripe pattern.  Plus larger pieces of red and brown cardstock and a couple sheets of white cardstock.  Diecuts for the title, two different ballons, a party hat, candles, and some paper-ribbon accents were also included in the bag.  Sweet! Ok, now I knew what I had to work with.

For my page, I used one of the light yellow blocks, all three stripe pattern blocks, and all the diecuts.  I also used more of the light blue (Lagoon) and light yellow (Banana) cardstock than was included; we had scraps on hand so I didn't need whole sheets.   But....did you know? We sell all the cardstock colors used in the kits as either individual sheets or 25-packs.  Click here for single sheets or here for packs.  In addition, I wanted to add some pizzazz to the pages with pattern. This is where those fun cards (you can't seem to stop buying) come in....

Nearly all the cards I chose were from the Honey Core Collection of Project Life.  I did also utilize one card from MAMBI ("Good Times" card).  The one I used is just a plain ole' card, but I just found out you can get embellished cards too! I totally would have used one of those if I had known. Deciding on which cards to use and where to put them was trial-and-error.  When I scrapbook, I like to lay things out and try different things before gluing it all down.  I also tend to use this adhesive by Tombow.  It is marketed as permanent, but it works great for when you're still deciding on placement because you have a little time to pull things back up before it sets.  It's a true lifesaver!  And a page designed by Laura (that's me!)  wouldn't be complete without inked edges. If you missed our quick video tutorial on how to get this look, check it out!


 So that's it.  Pretty easy! And, for me,  a lot faster than a traditional page.  I like to still consider each pocket a separate design element so you can still have fun incorporating embellishments like brads, bling, stickers, diecuts and more.

Here are some close-ups of various parts of the layout so you can see the detail a little better.


Pocket Scrapbooking + Down Memory Lane Page Kits = Faster & Easier Pages!

We'd love to hear your thoughts on this project! Are you a pocket scrapbooker?  Or are you like me and mix in some pocket pages with your traditional pages?  If you haven't tried it yet, I'd totally encourage you to.  It can be a great way to catch-up on your scrapbooking and simplify the process! 

-----------------------------------------------------

And now for your EXCLUSIVE offer....
Do you love this idea and want to get your hands on the "Wish Big" kit? You're in luck! 
From 10/15/15 - 10/16/15, we're offering it at a special price! (Valid while supplies last.)

Find this kit under the Birthday category on the website.
Yep, get it for only $3.99! Click here to shop NOW! 
And be sure to take a look at all our kits because when you stock up, YOU save with
FREE shipping on orders of $75 or more!

-----------------------------------------------------

Thanks for visiting our Blog.  Stop back often and follow us so you don't miss out! 
Have a crafty day!






No comments: